Australian Mathematical Society
Division of Applied Mathematics
Rules of Procedure
(Adopted, October 1990)
1. The following Rules are to be read in conjunction with the constitution of the Australian Mathematical Society, in sequel to be referred to as the Society, and the constitution of the Division of Applied Mathematics of the Australian Mathematical Society, in sequel to be referred to as the Division.
II NAME, OBJECTS AND COMPOSITION OF THE BRANCH
2. The branch shall be called the A.C.T. Branch of the Division of Applied Mathematics of the Australian Mathematical Society, hereafter to be referred to as the Branch.
3. The objects of the Branch shall be as for the Division and to hold regular meetings of the A.C.T. Applied Mathematics Seminar Series.
4. Membership of the Branch shall consist of
(a) Honorary Members, who shall be Honorary Members of the Society;
(b) Ordinary Members, who shall be those Ordinary Members of the Society usually resident in the A.C.T., who pay an annual capitation fee to the Division;
(c) Associate Members, who shall be persons not members of the Society but who elect to pay an annual membership fee to the Branch, the amount thereof to be determined from time to time by the Branch but in all cases to be not less than the capitation fee paid by Ordinary Members as prescribed in Rule 4(b);
(d) Institution Members, who shall be those Institutional Members of the Society resident in the A.C.T. who pay an annual capitation fee to the Division
III OFFICERS AND EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
5. The Officers of the Branch shall be a Chair, a Secretary and a Treasurer.
6. The Executive Committee shall consist of:
(a) The Officers of the Branch;
(b) Not more than five further elected Members;
(c) The Chair of the Division or the Chair’s nominee who shall be an ex-officio member of the Executive Committee.
7. The Chair, The Treasurer and at least half of the other Officers and Members of the Executive Committee shall be members of the Division as well as of the Branch.
8. The Executive Committee shall manage the business of the Branch and shall act to further the objects of the Branch.
9. The Chair or a member nominated by the Chair shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee. Half of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum.
10. The Secretary shall keep a record of the activities of the Branch and of the Executive Committee, shall be responsible for the conduct of Postal Ballots, and shall do all such things for the use and service of the Branch as appertains to the office of Secretary. The Secretary shall annually submit a written report on the activities of the Branch to the Executive Committees of the Branch and the Division.
11. The Treasurer shall collect and receive all funds on account of the Branch and shall deposit the same in an interesting–bearing Society Account established in the name of the Branch. Payments from this Account shall be made by cheques signed by the Treasurer and one other person nominated by the Committee. The Treasurer shall keep true accounts of the sums of money received and expended by the Branch and shall annually submit a financial statement to the Executive Committees of the Branch and the Division. The annual financial statement shall be made available to any Member of the Branch on request.
12. All members of the Executive Committee shall act in an honorary capacity.
13. The Executive Committee of the Branch shall organize as it sees fit such meetings, conferences and seminars in furtherance of the objects of the Branch.
14. Where fees are to be charged to cover expenses involved in the organization and conduct of such meetings, conferences and seminars, Members of the Branch may pay a discounted fee as determined by the Executive Committee.
V BALLOTS AND ELECTIONS
15. The Executive Committee of the Branch shall be elected annually by Members of the Branch other than Institutional Members.
16. Any positions on the Executive Committee shall be declared vacant at the end of each calendar year.
17. The Chair shall not be eligible for election for more than two consecutive years.
18. Such elections abovementioned shall be by Postal Ballot, the Returning Officer to be appointed by the Executive Committee.
19. The Returning Officer will give written notice of the call for nominations for Officers and Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee. This notification shall be given at the same time as the notice for the last seminar for the year of the A.C.T. Applied Mathematics Seminar Series.
20. Nominations for any or all of the Officers and Seats to be filled may be made by any two Members who are entitled to vote at the ensuing election, provided that the persons nominated are entitled to vote at the ensuing election. Nominations will close at the meeting after the last seminar for the year of the A.C.T. Applied Mathematics Seminar Series.
21. If only one person has nominated for any of the offices of the Branch that person shall be declared elected unopposed. Likewise, if five or fewer persons have validly (see 6(b)) nominated for the membership of the Executive Committee they shall be declared elected unopposed. In the event of a contested position the Returning Officer shall conduct a Postal Ballot, to be held before December 31 of the current year.
22. Each Member who is entitled to vote shall have just one vote in respect of each office and each seat to be filled.
23. The Member who receives the highest number of votes for each single Office shall be declared elected, and those Members who receive the (up to) five highest number of votes for Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall be declared elected.
24. Persons elected as Officers or Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall normally take up their respective positions on January 1 of the year following the elections.
25. The Executive Committee shall decide whether to fill casual vacancies on the Committee should they occur. Such vacancies shall be filled by appointment by the Committee or by Postal Ballot subject to the provisions of Paragraph 7.
26. If no election of Officers or Ordinary Members to the Executive Committee has taken place by December 31 of any year, the Executive Committee of the Division shall intervene and take whatever action it deems appropriate.
VI AMENDMENT TO RULES
27. Any question concerning an alteration of this set of Rules of Procedure shall be decided by a special Postal Ballot of all Members of the Branch. All decisions made as the result of this Ballot shall be subject to an approval by the Division.