Australian Mathematical Society Web Site - ANZIAM
Australian Mathematical Society
Division of Applied Mathematics
Engineering Mathematics Group
Rules of Procedure
(Adopted at the Inaugural Meeting, Swinburne UT, June 1992;
Clause 16 altered by Special Postal Ballot October 2001, the change to apply after 2002)
- Mathematics provides the methodology and the framework of rigorous thought for technological developments. It is both the language for the expression of ideas and the means of communicating results, a necessity for continued innovation and adaption to changing technology. As uncertainty is an essential feature of the engineering environment, probability and statistics are part of the engineering mathematicsí domain of interest alongside other disciplines of applied, industrial and computational mathematics.
- The following Rules of a specialised group in engineering mathematics are to be read in conjunction with the constitution of the Australian Mathematical Society, in sequel to be referred to as the Society, and the constitution of the Division of Applied Mathematics of the Australian Mathematical Society, in sequel to be referred to as the Division.
II. NAME, OBJECTS and COMPOSITION of the GROUP
- The Group shall be called "the Engineering Mathematics Group of the Division of Applied Mathematics of the Australian Mathematical Society", hereafter to be referred to as the EMG.
- As a specialist group within the Division the objects of the EMG shall be to foster and promote mathematics within the field of Engineering.
- To further these objects, the EMG may among other things:
- organise seminars, workshops and conferences on mathematics in engineering, education and research;
- organise small group meetings on particular themes;
- collect and publish information on design, development and method
of delivery of courses in engineering mathematics;
- collect and disseminate information on latest trends, needs and developments in engineering mathematics;
- produce a publication of the EMG as a source of information and to
provide the opportunity for the exchange of ideas between
mathematicians and engineers;
- sponsor joint activities with other bodies concerned with fields where engineering mathematics is relevant;
- encourage the interaction of users of engineering mathematics in Industry, Government and Education;
- assist with the training of users of engineering mathematics.
- The EMG shall consist of two classes of Members, namely:
- Ordinary Members, who shall be those Ordinary Members of the
Society who pay the annual capitation fee of the Division and
any annual capitation fee of the EMG.
- Associate Members, who shall be those persons who are not members
of the Society but who elect to pay the annual membership fee to the
EMG, the amount thereof to be determined from time to time by the EMG
but in all cases to be not less than the
annual capitation fee of the Division paid by Ordinary Members as
prescribed in Rule 6(a).
III. OFFICERS and EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE
- The Officers of the EMG shall be Ordinary Members of the EMG. The Executive Committee shall be Members of the EMG with the composition of the Committee to be subject to the provisions of Paragraphs 8 and 9.
- The Officers of the EMG shall be a Chair, a Secretary and a Treasurer.
- The Executive Committee of the EMG shall consist of the Officers abovementioned and not more than four further elected Members who shall be called Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee. At least half of the Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall be Ordinary Members of the EMG. The Chair of the Division or the Chairís nominee shall be an ex officio member of the Executive Committee. The President of the Institution of Engineers Australia, or the Presidentís nominee, shall be an ex officio member of the Executive Committee.
- The Executive Committee shall manage the business of the EMG and shall act to further the objects of the EMG.
- The Executive Committee of the EMG shall seek approval, from the Officers of the Division, for the annual budget and the financial arrangements for any major undertaking.
- The Chair or the Chair's nominee shall preside at all meetings of the Executive Committee. Four members of the Executive Committee shall constitute a quorum.
- The Secretary shall keep a record of the activities of the EMG and the Executive Committee, shall be responsible for the conduct of Postal Ballots, and shall do all such things for the use and service of the EMG as appertains to this office. The Secretary shall annually submit a written report on the activities of the EMG to the Executive Committees of the EMG and the Division.
- The Treasurer shall collect and receive all funds on account of the EMG and shall deposit the same in an interest bearing Society Account established in the name of the EMG. Payments from this Account shall be made by cheques signed by the Treasurer and one other person nominated by the Committee. The Treasurer shall keep true accounts of the sums of money received and expended by the EMG and shall annually submit a financial statement to the Executive Committees of the EMG and the Division. The annual financial statement shall be made available to any Member of the EMG on request.
- All members of the Executive Committee shall act in an honorary capacity.
- The Executive Committee of the EMG shall organize a Biennial Conference on engineering mathematics to be held mid-year in odd numbered years. In addition, it shall organize as it sees fit such meetings, conferences and seminars in furtherance of the objects of the EMG as a specialist group within the Division.
- Where fees are to be charged to cover expenses involved in the organization and conduct of such meetings, conferences and seminars, Members of the EMG may pay a discounted fee as determined by the Executive Committee.
- In matters relating to attendance at meetings, the EMG shall extend appropriate courtesies, as determined by the Executive Committee, to Honorary Members of the Society.
- In matters relating to publications of the EMG, the EMG shall extend appropriate courtesies, as determined by the Executive Committee, to Institutional Members of the Division.
V. BALLOTS and ELECTIONS
- Positions on the Executive Committee shall be declared vacant at the Biennial Conference.
- The Executive Committee of the EMG shall be elected for the period between Biennial Conferences.
- Such elections abovementioned shall be held at the Biennial Conference, the Returning Officer to be appointed by the Executive Committee.
- The Returning Officer shall notify in writing each Member of the EMG of the call for nominations for Officers and Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee; this notification shall be given three months before the Biennial Conference.
- Nominations for any or all of the Officers and Seats to be filled may be made by any two Members who are entitled to vote at the ensuing election, provided that the persons nominated are entitled to vote at the ensuing election and that the nominations are received by the Returning Officer no later than one month before the Biennial Conference.
- Retiring Officers and Members of the Executive Committee shall be eligible for re-election to any position on the incoming Executive Committee.
- Each Member who is entitled to vote shall have just one vote in respect of each office and each seat to be filled.
- The Member who receives the highest number of votes for each single Office shall be declared elected, and those Members who receive the (up to) four highest number of votes for Ordinary Members of the Executive Committee shall be declared elected. If four or less nominations are received for Ordinary Members then they shall be automatically elected.
- Persons elected as Officers or Members of the Executive Committee shall normally take up their respective positions at the Biennial Conference.
- The Executive Committee shall decide whether to fill casual vacancies on the Committee should they occur. Such vacancies shall be filled by appointment by the Committee or by Postal Ballot subject to the provisions of Paragraphs 8 and 9.
- In the extraordinary case where no Biennial Conference is held, or no election of Officers or Ordinary Members to the Executive Committee takes place when due, the Executive Committee of the Division shall intervene and take whatever action it deems appropriate.
VI. AMENDMENT of RULES
- Any question concerning an alteration of this set of Rules of Procedure shall be decided by a special Postal Ballot restricted to Ordinary Members of the EMG.
If anyone notices any errors or omissions in this electronic
of the Constitution, please email email@example.com.
Last updated: 04/06/02